The district of Pradl probably derives from the Latin for "Pratellum" - small meadow and has existed since the Middle Ages. Under Ferdinand II, the builder of Ambras Castle, today's Amraser Strasse and Pradler Strasse were laid out in the 16th century as a connection to the castle, as well as the old village center around the Sill Bridge, which still exists today. In the 19th century numerous industrial companies settled and whole streets with apartment houses were built. In the interwar period, the Pembauerblock, the Tyrolean prime example of social housing, was built according to plans by the architect Theodor Prachensky. Between 1939 and 1945 further large housing estates were built for emigrants from South Tyrol and so today Pradl is considered the most populous district.
A special feature is the Pradler Ritterspiele. The popular folk theater with amateur actors has toured throughout Austria, Germany and Switzerland. Today the theater mostly performs in Vienna, the part that remains in Innsbruck is called Innsbrucker Ritterspiele and has its home in the Gasthof Bierstindl.
Another special feature is a Roman milestone from the early third century, which stood in Wiesengasse until 1999. In place of the original, which moved to the Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, there is now a copy made of natural stone.
Last updated 26.09.2023